As a new owner of an Alaskan Malamute, you will need to buy a suitable food bowl. If you’re reading this article you’re probably wondering if Malamutes need a specific kind of bowl, or you’re simply curious about what other owners use.
Look no further, we’ve counted our top 6 recommendations for the best food bowls for Alaskan Malamutes. In our list you’ll find a bowl to suit every need plus some handy advice on how to choose the right one for you. So, let’s get straight into it!
- 1. MLife STAINLESS STEEL BOWL
- 2. OUTWARD HOUND SLOW FEEDER INTERACTIVE DOG BOWL
- 3. PLATINUM PETS DOUBLE DINER ELEVATED PET BOWLS
- 4. WOPET AUTOMATIC DOG FEEDER
- 5. GOTAGS PREPPY STRIPES CERAMIC PERSONALIZED DOG BOWL
- 6. PRIMA PETS COLLAPSIBLE TRAVEL BOWL WITH CARABINER
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST FOOD BOWL FOR YOUR ALASKAN MALAMUTE
- FINAL THOUGHTS
1. MLife STAINLESS STEEL BOWL
- Non-skid rubber base prevents it from slipping around the floor.
- Wide base makes it difficult to tip over.
- Made with durable, rust-resistant stainless steel.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Large capacity (4.75 cups)
Most of you will be looking for a simple dog bowl that is easy to clean and will last as long as possible. That’s why number one on our list of the best food bowls for Alaskan Malamutes is the MLife Stainless Steel Bowl.
These bowls are about as basic as they come, with a sleek stainless steel finish and large rubber rim. Despite being simple, these bowls are made to last. The stainless steel is stain-resistant and rust-resistant, and it can be put in the dishwasher when your Malamute is done. The rubber rim prevents it from sliding around the floor, and the wide diameter makes it very difficult to tip over.
What’s even better is that these bowls come in a handy 2 pack for a very affordable price, giving you a new water and food bowl at the same time!
2. OUTWARD HOUND SLOW FEEDER INTERACTIVE DOG BOWL
- Design increases the time it takes your Malamute to eat their food.
- Helps to prevent bloat caused by gulping.
- Non-slip base prevents it from sliding around.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Large capacity (4 cups).
All owners know that Alaskan Malamutes love their food, so much so that a full bowl can disappear in a matter of seconds! Eating too fast can cause a wide range of health issues in a Malamute, including indigestion, choking, gagging, or even canine bloat.
To help slow down an Alaskan Malamute’s eating, we recommend buying a slow feeder bowl such as the Outward Hound Interactive Dog Bowl. These bowls have large grooves and shapes that prevent your Malamute from being able to take large mouthfuls. The Outward Hound bowl is one of our favourites as the pattern is intricate enough to increase the eating duration by up to 10 times, but it is not too small that a Malamute’s snout can’t fit around it.
3. PLATINUM PETS DOUBLE DINER ELEVATED PET BOWLS
- Elevated food bowls reduce neck strain and improve digestion.
- Bowls fit snug in the frame so there is no rattle during eating.
- Ideal for older Malamutes who are not as mobile.
- Available in a wide variety of bowl colors.
- Multiple sizes available - we recommend the 6.25 cup size.
Alaskan Malamutes are a large dog breed. Having to eat off of the floor can therefore put unnecessary strain on their necks and surrounding muscles, making mealtimes uncomfortable. For that reason, one of the best dog bowls for Alaskan Malamutes is the Platinum Pets Elevated Double Diner.
This setup elevates your Malamute’s food and water bowls to a more natural feeding height. Not only does this prevent strain, but it also improves digestion. The Platinum Pets Double Diner is particularly good as the frame holds the bowls snuggly to prevent rattling whilst eating.
There is some evidence to suggest that eating at an elevated level may increase the risk of a dog getting canine bloat as they might be able to ingest more air whilst eating.
We personally still like using elevated feeders, especially in our elderly Malamutes, and we believe they are safe to use as long as the owner is aware of the signs of canine bloat.
4. WOPET AUTOMATIC DOG FEEDER
- Keeps your Malamute fed, even if you aren’t at home.
- Promotes a regular feeding schedule which is beneficial for good behaviour.
- You can record a personal message which lets your Malamute know it’s mealtime.
- Portion size and meal frequency are fully adjustable.
- 6L capacity makes it suitable for multi-pet households.
Those of you with unpredictable schedules will benefit from having an automatic dog feeder. Our favourite is the WoPet Pets Automatic Dog Feeder which can be programmed to feed your Malamute up to fifteen times per day!
There are many benefits from having an automatic feeder, the most significant is that it promotes a regular feeding schedule. Alaskan Malamutes love their food so feeding them at the same time every day will improve their behaviour surrounding mealtimes.
The WoPet Feeder is especially good because you can record a short message which will play when the food is released to call your Malamute.
Automatic feeders are much better than gravity feeders. Malamutes will eat as long as they are given food and gravity feeders can quickly lead to obesity as a result. If you need a feeding solution whilst you’re out of the home, it’s worth it to spend the extra money to get an automatic feeder!
5. GOTAGS PREPPY STRIPES CERAMIC PERSONALIZED DOG BOWL
A personalised bowl is an ideal gift for any Alaskan Malamute owner, or for any Malamute that deserves a reward!
The customizer tool is easy to use and offers different colours, fonts, and text options – you’re bound to find a design that suits your Malamute! The result is high quality, despite the low price tag – just be sure to hand wash this bowl to maintain the finish.
We wanted to note that this bowl does not have a non-slip base. The heavy ceramic does help to reduce sliding considerably, but we recommend putting it on a feeding mat if sliding annoys you.
6. PRIMA PETS COLLAPSIBLE TRAVEL BOWL WITH CARABINER
- Convenient to carry during long walks, hikes, or visits to the park.
- Clip can easily attach to a backpack or leash.
- Made with food-grade silicone.
- Holds up to 5 cups of food or water.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Multiple colors available.
We love to go on adventures with our Alaskan Malamutes – it’s what they were bred for after all! When we know we’re going to be out of the home for a while on a particularly long hike or trip to the park, it’s important to remember the needs of our Malamutes.
The Prima Pets Travel Bowl makes our lives so much easier. We simply clip it onto our backpack or leash and unfold it when needed for a quick water or food break. Our Malamutes are always grateful for a water break during long walks! Once finished, it collapses back to being flat and can be put in the dishwasher when you’re home again.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST FOOD BOWL FOR YOUR ALASKAN MALAMUTE
To find the best food bowl for your Alaskan Malamute, ask yourself the following questions:
- Does my Malamute have a health condition? – Some health conditions, such as arthritis and digestive issues, may mean that your Malamute will benefit from having a specific kind of food bowl.
- Does my Malamute eat their food too fast? – If your Malamute is a speedy eater, certain bowls will help to slow them down. There are many different designs of slow feeder bowls out there to suit your Malamute.
- Do appearances matter? – There’s no shame in wanting a food bowl that matches the rest of your kitchen. Food bowls are now made in a variety of designs and colours, just remember that functionality should be a priority before you start looking for a new design.
- What surface will the food bowl be on? – If you feed your Alaskan Malamute on smooth surfaces such as tile or vinyl, you’ll probably want to invest in a food bowl that has a non-slip base. If you find a bowl you love that doesn’t have a non-slip base, you can purchase a food mat to prevent your Malamute from sliding over the floor during meal times.
Regardless of your needs, you are bound to find a food bowl that suits both you and your Alaskan Malamute.
Finding the right food bowl for your Alaskan Malamute doesn’t need to be a chore. With our options, you are bound to find one that suits their needs and looks good in your home.
If you have any questions about the content of this article, please leave a comment below or get in touch by clicking here.
We want to see your Malamutes! Send in your photos to email@example.com for a chance to be featured in our gallery.