Feeding fruits to your husky can be beneficial as long as they are the right types of fruit, but what about grapes?
Huskies should never eat any grapes, raisins, or currants, as they are toxic to them. While the cause of the toxicity is unknown, it results in kidney failure and can lead to death.
Stay tuned to learn exactly what to do if your husky eats grapes, what issues it can cause, and much more.
What Should You Do If Your Husky Has Eaten Grapes
If your husky has eaten grapes, it’s important to take them to the veterinarian as soon as possible.
They will attempt to induce vomiting to prevent any problems, and it’s likely that your husky will need to be monitored for a while as there currently is no cure for ingested grapes as the cause of the toxicity is unknown.
You should not try to induce vomiting alone; always go to your vet as soon as possible.
Why Huskies Should Never Eat Grapes
Huskies should never eat grapes because it causes grape poisoning.
At this current point in time, nobody actually knows what causes grape poisoning, as no toxic agent has been identified.
Several arguments have been made throughout the years, from mycotoxin, which is produced by fungus or mold, to tartaric acid in more recent years.
Although nobody knows the cause yet, the result of grape poisoning is kidney failure.
This is what makes treatment so difficult, and it’s also why you should act quickly so your veterinarian can attempt to induce vomiting.
How Much Is Too Much
Depending on the type of dog, there is varying tolerance for grapes, but it’s impossible to know how tolerant your husky will be.
This means that any amount of grape ingested is too much.
If your husky eats any grapes, you must take them to the veterinarian as soon as possible.
Symptoms Of Grape Poisoning
The initial sign of grape poisoning is usually vomiting within 24 hours of ingestion. You may also see lethargy and diarrhea during this time.
The symptoms will worsen after 24 to 48 hours as kidney damage begins. Nasua, vomiting, lack of appetite, and several other symptoms are common during this time.
If your husky has only eaten a small amount of grapes and you take them to the veterinarian as soon as possible, the prognosis looks promising.
If the kidneys become damaged and urine is stopped being produced, then the prognosis is poor and death is likely.
It’s all about acting quickly – if you suspect your husky has eaten grapes, you must get them to a vet as soon as possible.
What About Different Types Of Grapes?
You might be wondering if different types of grapes pose less risk to your husky, but unfortunately, they should all be avoided.
Seedless grapes are still toxic to huskies, so they should not be fed to them.
Red Vs. Green
There is no difference between red and green grapes in terms of how dangerous they are to huskies; both should never be fed to them.
Raisins And Currants
Dried grapes like raisins and currants should also never be fed to huskies, as they are still toxic.
You’ve probably noticed the common theme here – all types of grapes are not safe for huskies to eat.
Alternative Fruits That Are Safe For Huskies
There are still lots of fruits outside of grapes that make healthy snacks for huskies.
Apples can be a great option as they contain lots of fiber and Vitamin C and A; just make sure to remove the core and any seeds.
Oranges are similar in that the skin and peel need to be removed first, but after that, they can be fed in small amounts and provide lots of vitamins and minerals.
If the weather gets hot, one of my favorite fruits for huskies is watermelon. Get rid of the rind and seeds, and you’re good to go; you can mix it with yogurt and freeze it to create little watermelon treats for the hot weather.
It’s always important to research what to feed your husky as a treat, as you never know what is dangerous and what isn’t.
Grapes might seem harmless, but they are extremely toxic and should never be fed to your husky under any circumstances.
Most of your husky’s diet should come from dog food designed to be nutritionally complete; feeding them treats that aren’t dog treats only increases the risk of health issues.